I am so excited to be guest blogging on Alexis’s Roads To Reflection! My name is Lindsay and I am the girl behind the style blog, Sugar & Something. Sugar & Something is turning one in May but I have been blogging for a little over 4 years- wow it’s crazy that it’s been so long! I have learned so many tips and tricks over the past few years and absolutely love sharing what I have learned, and continue to learn, with those who have just recently started or want to start blogging. I wanted to start with a few of things I think are the most important:
1. Plan your brand before you start. I can’t stress this enough. It is so much more difficult to change your brand after you already have loyal followers. I started out blogging behind Sugar & Something, a food and craft blog, those are not the same readers that follow Sugar & Something, the style blog. It took me a long time to rebrand my blog and ultimately had to start from scratch.
2. Organize your schedule- When I first started blogging my posts were sparse. I didn’t post consistently. I didn’t have a set schedule. This doesn’t lead to success, I can promise you that. It is so important to plan ahead and already know what your posts are going to consist of so life doesn’t get in the way and leave you lacking in the blog department.
3. Get involved! This is the one I struggle with the most. It is so difficult to find time for life, blogging, and keeping up with followers and other bloggers. I try my best to comment, share, and email fellow bloggers but it’s challenging sometimes. Make the effort! Even if it means you only get to comment on a few of your blogger friends posts today, do it! It makes such a difference in the blogging world to have someone to talk to when you have a question, or support you when you have the need.
4. Don’t be afraid to google! Google is my best friend in the whole world. I use it for everything. From learning HTML to adjust my blog layout and template, to learning how to use a camera to get the right effect that I want. I google my questions constantly. I am learning everyday more and more about how to better myself as a blogger.Don’t be afraid of not knowing something, welcome the chance to learn something new!
5. Invest in yourself and invest in your blog- if you have the opportunity. When my blog started becoming an extension of who I was, I knew it was time to invest something into it. I began to save money and put it towards things I needed to take my blog to the next level. For me this was a camera, new lens, and photoshop lightroom. Sure, you don’t need fancy equipment to blog, but I knew if I wanted to grow in the style blog industry, it was a necessity.
Now there are probably a million other little tips I could give you and I would absolutely love to! Feel free to reach out to me if you’re thinking of starting your own blog! I’d love to chat!SugarAndSomethingBlog@gmail.com